On my better days

On my better days
Super Woman!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Suffering out of my comfort zone (wah wah wah)

Well I have returned from Chicagoland and I gained weight- only 3 lbs but weight gain never the less. It's OK because I plan to do a 3 day Shakeology cleanse and today I am back to the P90X/TBF/Insanity mash up after a week of rest.

While I love P90X, I HATE the Chest, Shoulders and Triceps workout. Hate it. I thought that I would be OK with the push ups after Core Synergistics and Insanity but not so much. UGH. It's just one of those things. I have to do it because if you only do the workouts that you like - specifically when it comes to resistance, you'll miss the benefits of the muscle confusion AND if you only work on your strengths, you're missing out on gaining a better physique and overall fitness. Believe me- if I could, I'd do legs and back everyday but that would be pretty silly (and I'd probably look pretty funny too!!). And let's face it; the reason that I don't like the workout is because it isn't in my comfort zone -BUT one has to get out of their comfort zone to make progress.
I'll be the first to tell people that they should do a workout that they like so they'll stick with it and it won't be painful- but if you want to change your body you'll have to trudge through some workouts that aren't as much fun as others. While push ups and pull ups may never be as easy as working out my legs or doing cardio, they are critical to my overall physical conditioning and if I keep at it, I will improve and I will get better and better. In fact, I couldn't do more than 5 "guy" push ups when I started. Now I can do 35 elevated push ups. Clearly, I have improved, gained muscle and improved my overall fitness.

So whether you are working on a Beachbody workout or if you are doing your own thing, DO NOT skip entire body parts because they are hard!! Just do your best, forget the rest and remember to really and truly BRING IT!

4 comments:

  1. You hate Chest/Shoulders/Tri's/ARX??? That's one of my favorites! It's ok. Core Synergistics is not one of my favorites, but I guess we still need to do them. If we only did the workouts we liked, we wouldn't get the awesome results. Right???

    Great info/Great site! Keep up the good work Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting outside your comfort zone is the key to growing not only in fitness but so many other areas in life. Thanks for sharing. I agree with Jeff, I enjoy Chest, Shoulder and Tri's. My weakness is Ab Ripper X.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a HUGE comfort zone. I need to get out of it a lot more! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ive recently been trying to go out of my comfort zone, i dont last thru all the reps but at least i really pushed it! get posts! thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete